Carla Parra Escartín
Carla Parra Escartín was appointed as ESR at the University of Bergen from May 1, 2011 for three years.
Her PhD research project consists in exploring new ways to improve multiword n-1 alignments between Spanish and German/Norwegian. Concretely, she focuses on those nominal compounds in German and Norwegian that have as translation equivalents in Spanish phraseological units.
In order to carry out her research project she has compiled a parallel corpus from the European database of Technical Regulations Information System (TRIS). Concretely, she has paired documents written in Austria, Germany and Spain and their translations into Spanish and German respectively. The database consists of 995 file pairs corresponding to 13 different domains.
A first version (v.01) of this TRIS corpus was publicly released within the MetaNord Project on 30 November 2011: “Tris Spanish-German Parallel Corpus” (Metadata XML and Description of the Resource). The following versions of the corpus (v0.2 and v.03) have been released through MetaNord. The TRIS corpus is currently being used to carry out experiments in Statistical Machine Translation.
From 10 August 2013 to 18 November 2013 Carla did a secondment at the RWTH University Aachen. During these 3 months she worked at the Human Language Technology and Pattern Recognition Group (Chair of Computer Science 6) leaded by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Hermann Ney and carried out Machine Translation (MT) Experiments using their Statistical Machine Translation system Jane.
- Parra Escartín, Carla. Chasing the Perfect Splitter: A Comparison of Different Compound Splitting Tools. In: Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC’14). (Reykjavik, Iceland) (Nicoletta Calzolari (Conference Chair), Khalid Choukri, Thierry Declerck, Hrafn Loftsson, Bente Maegaard, Joseph Mariani, Asunción Moreno and Jan Odijk eds.), European Language Resources Association (ELRA), May 2014, pp. 3340-3347. ISBN 978-2-9517408-8-4.
- Parra Escartín, Carla, Peitz, Stephan and Ney, Hermann. 2014. German Compounds and Statistical Machine Translation. Can they get along? In: EACL 2014, Tenth Workshop on Multiword Expressions (MWE 2014), pages 48-56, Gothenburg, Sweden, April 2014.
- Parra Escartín, Carla, Smørdal Losnegaard, Gyri, Lyse Samdal, Gunn Inger and Patiño García, Pedro. Representing Multiword Expressions in Lexical and Terminological Resources: An Analysis for Natural Language Processing Purposes. In: Kosem, I., Kallas, J., Gantar, P., Krek, S., Langemets, M., Tuulik, M. (eds.) 2013. Electronic lexicography in the 21st century: thinking outside the paper. Proceedings of the eLex 2013 conference, 17-19 October 2013, Tallinn, Estonia. Ljubljana/Tallinn: Trojina, Institute for Applied Slovene Studies/Eesti Keele Instituut.
- Parra Escartin, Carla. Encoding a parallel corpus: The TRIS corpus experience. I: Vol 3,No 1 (2013) The many facets of corpus linguistics in Bergen – in honour of Knut Hofland.. Bergen: Bergen Language and Linguistics Studies (BeLLS) 2013 ISBN 978-82-998587-2-4. pp. 61-80.
- Parra Escartin, Carla. Encoding a parallel corpus: The TRIS corpus experience. I: The many facets of corpus linguistics in Bergen – in honour of Knut Hofland BeLLS Vol.3, Nr.1 (online version). Bergen: Bergen Language and Linguistics Studies (BeLLS) 2013 ISBN 978-82-998587-3-1. pp. 61-80.
- Lyse, Gunn Inger; Parra Escartín, Carla and De Smedt, Koenraad. 2012. Applying Current Metadata Initiatives: The META-NORD Experience. Proceedings of the Eigth Conference on International Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC’12) (Istanbul, Turkey) (Victoria Arranz, Daan Broeder, Bertrand Gaiffe, Maria Gavrilidou, Monica Monachini, and Thorsten Trippel, eds.), vol. Describing LRs with Metadata: Towards Flexibility and Interoperability in the Documentation of LR, European Language Resources Association (ELRA), 22 May 2012, pp. 20–27.
- Parra Escartín, Carla. 2012. Design and compilation of a specialized Spanish-German parallel corpus, Proceedings of the Eight International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC’12) (Istanbul, Turkey) (Nicoletta Calzolari (Conference Chair) and Khalid Choukri and Thierry Declerck and Mehmet Uğur Doğan and Bente Maegaard and Joseph Mariani and Jan Odijk and Stelios Piperidis, eds.), European Language Resources Association (ELRA), May 2012, pp. 2199-2206. ISBN 978-2-9517408-7-7.
- Parra, Carla. 2011. Historia de la traducción automática. La linterna del Traductor, nueva época. La revista multilingüe de ASETRAD (6), pp. 82-91. ISSN 1579-5314.
Presentations and guest talks
- Poster presentation together with Gyri Smørdal Losnegaard: Representing Multiword Expressions in Lexical and Terminological Rescources: Testing the Standards. Second PARSEME General Meeting, Athens, 10-11 March 2014.
- Poster presentation together with Héctor Martínez Alonso (University of Copenhagen): Compound dictionary extraction and WordNet. A dangerous liaison? Second PARSEME General Meeting, Athens, 10-11 March 2014.
- Poster presentation together with Stephan Peitz and Hermann Ney (RWTH Aachen University): Linguistics, German Compounds and Statistical Machine Translation. Can they all get along? Second PARSEME General Meeting, Athens, 10-11 March 2014.
- Guest talk at the Centre for Language Technology of the University of Copenhagen. Detection of complex translation equivalents to improve German > Spanish Machine Translation. 18 December 2013.
- Guest talk at RWTH Aachen University. Domain-specific German Compound Splitting for SMT. 5 November 2013.
- Presentation together with Gyri Smørdal Losnegaard of the eLEX paper “Representing Multiword Expressions in Lexical and Terminological Resources: An Analysis for Natural Language Processing Purposes” at the First PARSEME General Meeting held in Warsaw on 16-18 September 2013.
- Guest talk at Gjøvik University College. An Introduction to Machine Translation: History, Types and Challenges. 17 April 2013.
- Presentation of her research project at the GF Summer school 2011 held in Barcelona on 15-26 August 2011.
- Presentation of her research project at the CLARA researcher training course on Multilingual Lexical Resources and Tools held in Bergen on 20–23 June 2011.
Courses and seminars
- Lisbon Machine Learning Summer School 2014 held in Lisbon 22-29 July 2014.
- Workshop on Academic English organized by the Norwegian Graduate Researcher school in Linguistics and Philology held in Solstrand and arranged by the University of Bergen, 3.5 April 2014.
- Solstrand workshop 2012 on Successful Academic Research and Publishing organized by the PhD Research School in Linguistics and Philology (University of Bergen) in Solstrand, 13-14 February 2013.
- Workshop on R and LaTeX for Linguists organized by the PhD Research School in Linguistics and Philology (University of Bergen) at the University of Bergen on 4-7 December 2012
- CLARA Thematic training course on evaluation of Human Language Technologies held at ELDA (Paris, France) on 26-29 November 2012.
- Seventh MT Marathon 2012 held in Edinburgh on 2-8 September 2012.
- Svolvær Summer School in linguistic theory and methods held in Svolvær on 13–17 August 2012.
- Solstrand workshop 2012 on written and oral presentation in English organized by the PhD Research School in Linguistics and Philology (University of Bergen) in Solstrand, 13-14 March 2012.
- CLARA Winter School on New Developments in Computational Linguistics held in Prague on 13-17 February 2012.
- Introduction to Statistics course organized by the Forskerskole-HF at the University of Bergen on 24-28 October 2011.
- CLARA Career Course on Product Planning for Next Generation Information Access Technology Solutions held in Dubrovnik on 20-23 September 2011.
- GF Summer School 2011 held in Barcelona on 15-26 August 2011.
- CLARA researcher training course on Multilingual Lexical Resources and Tools held in Bergen on 20–23 June 2011. [Presentation of her research project].
My homepage at UiB
To learn more about her background and previous experience and publications see also Carla’s website at UiB.