Anna Lenkiewicz was appointed as ESR in CLARA at the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, from August 1st, 2011 for a period of two and a half years. Her research within the CLARA project is focused on the language technology field (linguistic infrastructures, interoperability, standards and semantic web).
She participates in the CLARA subproject Designing and Testing Common Infrastructures, which is led by the MPI.
The work to be carried out is to define a media query language/interface, which would allow searching for specific patterns or features in audio and video recordings. The idea for this topic was inspired by the need of creation of automatic annotation tool which may allow researchers to efficiently annotate hours of recordings with very little supervision. The interface on the input side uses recognizers developed by the MPI in cooperation with partner organizations. Those recognizers are able to automatically track and deliver data describing movement and speech of an actor. The challenge is to narrow down the semantic gap which appears while creating those annotations. The language should be easy enough for the user to be able to create queries and annotations, which are meaningful for researcher, and at the same time able to translate request into computer understandable language.
- Lenkiewicz, A., & Drude, S. (in press). Automatic annotation of linguistic 2D and Kinect recordings with the Media Query Language for Elan. In Proceedings of Digital Humanities 2013.
- Lenkiewicz, A., Lis, M., & Lenkiewicz, P. (2012). Linguistic concepts described with Media Query Language for automated annotation. In J. C. Meiser (Ed.), Digital Humanities 2012 Conference Abstracts. University of Hamburg, Germany; July 16–22, 2012 (pp. 477-479).
- Wittenburg, P., Lenkiewicz, P., Auer, E., Gebre, B. G., Lenkiewicz, A., & Drude, S. (2012). AV Processing in eHumanities – a paradigm shift. In J. C. Meister (Ed.), Digital Humanities 2012 Conference Abstracts. University of Hamburg, Germany; July 16–22, 2012 (pp. 538-541).
- Lenkiewicz, P., Wittenburg, P., Gebre, B. G., Lenkiewicz, A., Schreer, O., & Masneri, S. (2011). Application of video processing methods for linguistic research. In Z. Vetulani (Ed.), Human language technologies as a challenge for computer science and linguistics. Proceedings of the 5th Language and Technology Conference (LTC 2011), November 25-27, 2011, Poznań, Poland (pp. 561-564).
- Lenkiewicz, A., Somasundaram, A., & Lenkiewicz, P. (2013). A Media Query Language and its application for automatic annotation in ELAN. Talk presented at The 3rd International Conference on Language Documentation and Conservation (ICLDC), “Sharing Worlds of Knowledge”. Honolulu. 2013-02-28 – 2013-03-03.
- Lenkiewicz, A., & Lenkiewicz, P. (2012). Linguistic concepts described with Media Query Language for automated annotation. Poster presented at the Digital Humanities Conference 2012, Hamburg, Germany.
Courses and seminars
- CLARA Career Course on Product Planning for Next Generation Information Access Technology Solutions held in Dubrovnik on 20-23 September 2011.
- CLARA Winter School on New Developments in Computational Linguistics held in Prague on 13-17 February 2012.
Homepage at MPI
anna.lenkiewicz at mpi.nl